Thursday, October 28, 2010

Home Improvement- Laundry Drapes

My really good friend Aprilanne called me to ask my opinion about some drapes for her laundry room shelves. This room is also the entrance to the back of the house and garage, so people walk through it frequently. She was so tired of looking at all the stuff on her shelves, that she really wanted something to hide it. I told her I'd love to make her some drapes to cover it! Our only slight problem, is that I live in Orange County and she lives in LA. And we wouldn't be getting together for a while due to our schedules, so we did our project entirely via mail and email!

She took the measurements of what she wanted and mailed me her fabulous fabric choice. I made them and sent them off. I just love how these pictures turned out and I can't wait to see it in person. This particular shelf has a round bar below the shelving and she wanted some ties from the curtains to the bar just to anchor them down better. I made the ties detachable since she's only renting and will hopefully be able to use these again should she move.
Much better, wouldn't you say!

DRAPE TIPS: Drapes are very easy because it's mostly just hemming the edges. Besides hemming the edges you make a basic casing along the top for the rod to go in. I also did an extra row of stitching about 1/2 way in between the line of the casing and the edge. This made the top ruffle up and also makes it so you don't see a gap from the top of the curtain to the top of the shelf. This is how most commercial drapes come and gives you more options.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I love hearing from you!