Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Girl Scout Costumes- India

This year our Girl Scout Troop is participating in the International Food Fair (local chapter event) and represent the country of India.  Last year we were Madagascar (see this post).  I was again in charge of costumes.  I read a bunch of tutorials on how to make the Indian saree  and they all involved at least 4-5 yards of pretty fabric, plus lining.  My budget was only $10 a girl and I needed to make 21 outfits!  I looked online and found beautiful saree's from a website in India.  They ended up being $15 including shipping.  All the mom's decided it was a great deal considering the craftsmanship, detail, edging, etc. that these gowns had.  I couldn't do that for $15.  I didn't even think I could get fabric to make them for $15.
The girls learned their adorable bollywood style dance and performed in the school talent show as well.  They will perform in the Food Fair in a month.  The outfits turned out adorable.  Even though I bought them I still ended up doing alterations on about 1/2 the girls costumes.  But that was much easier than making 21 costumes!  I'm so glad it's done and the girls performed great.  *We decided to get the gowns in all different colors so it would be more interesting and authentic for their performance.  Each one was different and everyone loved them all.
 The website I bought them from was:  Vadaalamar (click on the name to link)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I love hearing from you!