Thursday, June 24, 2010

Teacher Appreciation Present- Lavender Aromatherapy Pillows

Jayne's teachers this year have been so great! Besides going in on the group gift from the class, I thought I'd whip up this little gift with a note that said, "I hope you get a chance to relax now that school's out!".

How To: I used some scraps of warm and natural quilters batting sewn together like a pillow. I left about a 3 inch hole on one side. Flipped it inside out (so finished seams), then filled the pillow with rice and lavender. Fold the fabric of the whole and sew it up. Your insert is now done. Then I just made a minky pillowcase for it. Use a front solid piece, and 2 pieces that overlap in the back (your flap) so that you can get the insert in and out. After finishing the edges of the 2 flaps, put right sides together and sew all the way around. Using your center flap, turn it inside out and it should be all done and ready for the insert.

I added a tag, some candy, and wrapped it up in a cello bag. Happy end of school!

2 comments:

  1. what is this fabric called? I want some for a project but haven't been able to find it. Now I need to know what I am looking for! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! It's called Minky, sometimes also spelled Minkee. There are varying degrees of quality. Joann's sells a version that is the low end. Quilt shops usually have a small section of this since it's very popular for baby blankets. I know you can buy online (try fabric depot.com), and if you are anywhere near Los Angeles email me and I can give you some wonderful recommendations for places to get great quality for less. I think Benartex is one of the best brands (most soft and durable). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I love hearing from you!